Water and Solar Project Coordinator
Since it’s formation four years ago, ClearWater has been supporting an indigenous-led movement for clean water, cultural survival, and rainforest protection in the northern Ecuadorian Amazon. What started as a project to provide clean drinking water to indigenous families by training local indigenous technicians, coordinators, and accountants has grown into the formation of an indigenous alliance with the goal of implementing community-led projects that empower indigenous peoples and their capacity to defend their lands and cultures against the threat of industrial destruction in the region.
ClearWater seeks an individual who is inspired by and committed to the struggles of indigenous peoples. This person is a motivated person who takes initiative and is excited to spend time living, learning, and building together with the indigenous nationalities in their communities. This is not a job for the timid, the egotistical, or those afraid of spiders. This is a position for someone who feels truly passionate about indigenous territorial defense, human rights, and rainforest conservation and who is willing to get muddy in the process.
The ClearWater Water and Solar Project Coordinator will be based in Lago Agrio, Ecuador. He or she will work closely with ClearWater’s staff and indigenous partner organization, the Ceibo Alliance, in leading the Water and Solar Project. He or she will also support the organization in ongoing logistics, administration and capacity development work. Salary is competitive for the field.
- Experience managing sustainable development work in rural communities (required)
- Experience working in cross-cultural settings and in rural areas. You have worked successfully for extended periods of time in remote areas with limited access to modern resources.
- Administrative tasks experience (accounting, financial reports, etc)
- Spanish and English fluency (both written and spoken, required)
- Substantial knowledge of and experience with solar technology and solar panel installation projects (a plus but not required)
- Experience working on rainwater catchment system projects (a plus but not required)
- Humility, patience, a passion for learning, and the ability to drink chicha are all very important (if you already know what chicha is, you’re on the right track)
- Capacity to evaluate complex situations and utilize wise and responsible judgment
- Writing skills (blogs, foundation proposals, grant reporting)
- Photography and videography skills (a plus)
- Ability to work without much supervision
- Valid drivers license
This position is based in Lago Agrio, Ecuador and requires 40-60% travel to rural areas. ClearWater is a small and dedicated team. The responsibilities for this position will vary and evolve.
Applications accepted on a rolling basis. Expected start date in late March 2017. All interested applicants should send a resume and cover letter in English and Spanish with “Water and Solar Project Coordinator” written in the subject line to: email@example.com
- Coordinate the planning and project work for the Water and Solar Project
- Manage all project-related budgeting, procurement and logistics
- Support capacity-building trainings for community Water and Solar technicians
- Support the logistics and administrative work of the ClearWater and Ceibo Alliance teams
- Document Water and Solar Project work and provide content for ClearWater’s social media platform and blog
- Assist in grant proposal and report writing and project accounting
- Translate program documents into English and Spanish
- Travel to local communities in rural areas around the region (as required)