Since its formation five years ago, ClearWater has been supporting an indigenous-led movement for clean water, cultural survival, and rainforest protection in the Amazon rainforest. What started as a project to provide clean drinking water to indigenous families by training local indigenous technicians, coordinators, and accountants has grown into the formation of an indigenous alliance, La Alianza Ceibo, that is implementing community-led projects that empower indigenous peoples and their capacity to defend their lands and cultures against the threat of industrial destruction in the region.
ClearWater seeks a human rights and environmental activist with experience in nonprofit communications and development work. We are looking for someone who can guide social media strategies, cultivate media contacts, and build strategic partnerships for our work in the United States. The person will execute online fundraising strategies, build donor relationships, and contribute to grant writing. This person is motivated, takes initiative and feels passionate about human rights, social justice and rainforest conservation.
This is a full-time position working remotely based anywhere in the United States, with a strong preference for someone based in the Bay Area.
- Lead and execute a communications strategy that empowers our partner, the Ceibo Alliance; raises awareness about indigenous struggles in the Amazon rainforest; and creates opportunities for partnerships and fundraising for both ClearWater and Ceibo.
- Manage ClearWater social media channels, email lists, and blog platform.
- Lead media outreach and cultivation strategies.
- Produce written materials, including blogs, promotional documents and presentations.
- Support ClearWater development team in implementing a strategy to follow up on ongoing media and public relations work.
- Assist in creating fundraising materials, including major gifts proposals.
- Contribute to research on prospective foundations and individual donors.
- Manage ClearWater media and donor database, and lead set up and management of CRM.
- Lead the ongoing development of the ClearWater fundraising plan.
- Establish and implement a major gifts strategy and build ClearWater’s donor base.
- Work with development team to identify short-medium-long term funding needs, preferred funding targets, and approaches.
- Track progress of fundraising and development goals.
- Oversee the organization of fundraising and visibility events.
- At least 3-5 years of communications and development experience.
- Familiarity with the conservation and social justice rights philanthropy sectors.
- Strong written and oral communication and marketing skills.
- Well-organized and strong project management skills and naturally proactive. We are looking for someone with the ability to see the big picture while also having the capacity to foresee and manage the small details.
- Demonstrable track record of meeting ambitious communications and fundraising goals, including grant writing and major donor strategies.
- Possess well established contacts with national and international journalists, media or agencies covering environmental, social justice, Latin America and/or natural resources and energy news or stories.
- Experience with methods and practice of storytelling.
- Experience using and managing CRMs, Zoho a plus.
- Ability to read and speak Spanish a plus.
- Bachelor’s Degree.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis, with priority given to people who apply by Friday, August 25th. Expected start date September 2017. All interested applicants should send a resume and cover letter with your first and last name and “Communications and Development Coordinator” written in the subject line to: email@example.com.